Church and Society Committee
Church and Society Committee Objectives
1. Encourage each adult and youth Sunday School class to have at least one study session on the Social Principles of the United Methodist Church. The goal is to increase awareness by the congregation of the positions of the UMC on issues of economic and social justice. Members of the C&S Committee are available to serve as resources for such study sessions and have purchased copies of the Social Principles for distribution. Target date: throughout the year with completion by the end of December of each year.
2. Send representatives to the Greening Your Congregation workshop at Luther Memorial Lutheran Church and the Bishop’s Convocation on Caring for Creation, both scheduled for February.
3. Implement energy efficiency measures at fun143. These measures will help reduce the energy needs of fun143, saving money on the utility bills, and reducing its impact on God’s Creation. Offer assistance in implementing similar measures and weatherization assistance to fun143 families. The Creation Care Team has already replaced the furnace filters and some light bulbs at fun143. The CC Team has also started contacting other churches and community groups to help support this effort. Target date: late winter/early spring.
4. Increase awareness of and participation by the congregation in the Caring for Creation conference at Lake Junaluska. Encourage members of the committee and others to attend (usually in April).
5. Coordinate with the Worship Committee and Church Council to arrange a celebration of the UMC Festival of God’s Creation. Target date: April Sunday near Earth Day.
6. Host a series of films and lectures focused on Creation Care issues. Target date: spring-fall.
7. Continue the vegetable garden at fun143. Purchase child-size tools and gloves for the children to use when helping with the garden. Target date: spring-fall growing season.
8. Encourage an appreciation for God’s Creation by coordinating a church outing at Camp Alta Mons. Arrange workshops and hands-on activities for children and adults. Target date: spring or early summer.
9. Coordinate a work day to assist the church in accomplishing the recommendations in the energy audit report. Target date: spring or fall, as can be arranged.
10. Prepare and disseminate information to the congregation on the problem of Car Title Lending. Target date: spring or early summer.
11. Seek opportunities to increase awareness of hunger issues within the congregation and prepare educational materials. Increase participation and funds raised for the Crop Hunger Walk. Target date: Fall.